Monday, February 14, 2005

Oh, the glamour, the romance

I am attending a rather glamourous event for work tomorrow evening. There will be real celebrities there in actual dresses that were designed by designers and everything. They'll probably have matching shoes.

These are my current thoughts regarding outfit selection:

How old does a dress have to be before it stops being so over and becomes vintage?

Will anyone notice if my shoes are wrecked with grub from drunken nightclub dancing?

Could I pass off a stubborn grease stain (incurred thanks to an over-enthusiastic jab at a chocolate fountain with bit of marshmallow) as shabby chic?

I am just waiting to be whisked off (by the District Line) for a romantic Valentines meal of probably a burger in an as-yet undecided restaurant. Isn't valentines Day cringey? I am in little danger of receiving a present or card though - in fact I have been informed in no uncertain terms that I will not. Now all I need to do is avoid candlelight and stuffed toys for another four and a half hours, and bingo! Home free.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Well...

When I was in LA for the Oscars in 2003 and 2004 (True! Ask Drew!) I was reliably informed by Philip Bloch (Halle Berry and Renee Zellwegers stylist) that a vintage dress only has to be more than five years, or ten seasons, old. The black and white vintage Valentino dress that Julia Roberts wore when she collected her best actress award for Erin Brokovich in 2001 was actually only six years old.

A shame really, because I always liked the idea that a vintage dress would be 30 or 40 years old and could split right up the arse just as, say, Nicole Kidman walked up onto the stage.

7:34 PM  
Blogger maria said...

I agree with Cristopher, BUT, the stain, is it terribly visible? Because there would have to be more and assorted stains for it to count as something "wanted" Damn, I hate grease stains.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home