Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Lost... and found

Everyone seems to be getting very excited about the first episode of Lost, which goes out on UK TV tonight.

Now, to be honest, I haven't really been paying much attention. I got swept up in the whole Desperate Housewives thing, and felt like a bit of a fool after a few weeks when I realised it was only a show on the telly. I even read the first four episodes on American website Television Without Pity before the show had actually aired.

Obviously I spoiled it for myself, as the Television Without Pity recaps are as good as - if not better than - the shows themselves. If you feel you waste too much time watching TV, seriously, just read it all online at work and free up your leisure time for more productive activities. Such as focused crisp eating.

I didn't realise how much I hate and self-destructively cling to Charmed as we both spiral into an endless abyss of co-dependent awfulness until I read the TWoP recaps. I had no idea how much I wanted Carrie Bradshaw to just SHUT THE HELL UP until I aquatinted myself with the site. The final series of SATC recaps were like a scab I couldn't stop picking. I didn't want to ruin it for myself, but oh my god my job at the time was boring, and I read the whole lot.

So, this time, I have managed to stay away from TWoP, and I don't really know any more about Lost than I have gleaned from Heat etc. Today, I was reading an article about the show on the Media Guardian website, and to my great amazement, learned that one of the castmembers is none other than Naveen Andrews.

Naveen Andrews was the star of a 1993 television adaptation of Hanif Kureishi's novel The Buddha Of Suburbia, which plunged me into a love affair with Kureishi's writing and young Naveen. I've since gone off them both, and haven't really been following Naveen's career. I'd assumed he had plunged into worthy Brit theatre obscurity.

Turns out, I was a little off the mark. He has actually appeared in a few movies, including Bride & Prejudice.

However, this is not all. This afternoon, I've learned a few shocking things about my former teen crush.

The first, mildly shocking fact, was this: when The Buddha Of Suburbia was broadcast, he was not actually a carefree teen. He was, in fact, already 24. He is now 36.

The two most shocking new facts I learned were revealed to me in this photograph:



1) He has simply shocking fashion sense. Blue velvet, Naveen? Seriously? And such a hideous shape. Horrible, horrible hugeness and height-robbing length. It looks like his mum wouldn't let him go to the premiere without a smart jacket on, so he borrowed one from Pavarotti. Urgh.

2) And ohmygod, that's not his mother! That's his girlfriend! He is living with with Barbara Hershey! She's fifty-freakin'-seven! I mean, go Barbara and everything, but WOW.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Barbara "Wind Beneath My Wings" Hershey of Beaches fame? You know, the one who tragically snuffs it from some very rare heart virus after an hour and a half of soft-focused looks from Bette Midler?

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should totally watch him in Lost. We've had it on for a bit now and he's spunkalicious.

And maybe there'll be some trouser action between him and Doctor Guy in the last eps. I live in hope.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

He did look pretty good last night. Big nose though. Ah well, you know what they say about men with big noses. Huuuge snorkel masks. Makes reef swimming really tricky. Shame.

And yes, THAT Barbara Hershey. How many times have you watched Beaches?

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, far far too many. I used to double team it with Steel Magnolias and have weep-overs when i was a teenager. Rare heart viruses? Inexplicable kidney disease? I was addicted to that sort of stuff when I was 12.

Spike - agree re spunkaliciousness of Naveen. In fact, that whole island is coming down with good looking men. I'd quite happily be stranded there...

1:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ha ha, weep overs! Very good.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL re the men with big noses.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home