Monday, September 12, 2005

The self-obsessed top five

I don't know if it is just me (or if I have some kind of egocentric complex - I do have a blog, after all), but songs on the radio seem to be unnervingly appropriate when I'm having a hard time. I don't particularly like or identify with most pop music, so it's unlikely that all those chart musicians are sitting in their studios, thoughtfully strumming their guitars and battling to find just the words to describe my predicament.

I wouldn't usually even be listening to the radio, but when employing dusting as a method of distraction, a few quality hits go down a treat.

Maybe it's because, when I just don't know what to do for the best, I'm desperate for guidance, and will take it in any form - even sanitised, sugar-coated, vacuum-packed and pinged into my ears by the cheezy DJ at Virgin Radio.

Maybe it's because song lyrics are deliberately contrived to appeal the loser public (hi!).

Maybe it's just cos we're all going through the same thing, man.

It's probably just that egocentric thing, though.

So! Here is my self-obsessed top five from yesterday's mix of classics and chart hits, in order of appropriateness.

*exciting music*

In at five we have Bad Day by that new lad Daniel Powter... the song that is tracking me down and forcing itself on me in cars and supermarkets across the suburbs of Southwest London.

No change at number four with an over-optimistic rock anthem - Jon Bon Jovi and the boys power into the top five with Keep The Faith.

It's back to the melancholic and meaningful at number three - if only it wasn't sung in a silly falsetto. Sort it out Chris. Fix You by Coldplay.

I've got not idea what the lyrics are because I was dusting the top of the wardrobe, but the title says it all. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is in at number two.

And this week's most ridiculously appropriate song is a classic... we haven't seen them in the charts for a while (although I'm going to pretend the Girl's Aloud version never happened, la la la la!).... it's The Pretenders - I'll Stand By You!

*cue applause from gormlessly grinning teenagers*

That's it for this week's countdown, don't forget to tune in next week when US rockers Your Mum & Your Mates will be performing their new hit, Buck Up Love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

ROFL.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home