Friday, January 06, 2006

Fabulous new diet! Lost £6 in one day!

It's possible that I put on a few pounds over Christmas. I'm not sure why, I didn't eat any more than usual and the annual turkey-cheese-chocolate binge doesn't usually present a problem. Perhaps it has something to do with never-ending brook of amber nectar that gaily babbled its way down my throat throughout December. Anyway, it doesn't matter - the babbling brook has solidified into dripping lard, the calories have made the transition from fun to chunk and I feel like a girl-sized Buddha roughly hewn from plasticine by a particularly cack-handed four-year-old.

It's not enough to necessitate elasticised leisure slacks from the Innovations catalogue, but I have officially been told to "stop going on about it". I have to wait until February until my probation period is up at work and I can FINALLY join the damn gym (it's only bloody Fitness First for the love of jazzy headbands). I can't afford any unsubsidised yoga classes or blobby-flab purging yak milk 'n' cabbage body wraps - my colleagues had to have a whip-round for me the Friday before Christmas so I could have lunch.

After several days of staring hatefully at various chunks of pancetta-like flesh, I had an epiphany as I ascended a Northern line escalator this morning. Starvation! Why piss about cutting out carbs and banishing wheat when treacherous dairy, salt or some duplicitous type of artery-blocking lettuce will carry on gently swelling me like a water balloon anyway?

Although, of course, you have to top yourself up with teeny-tiny pieces of food as you starve, or the body will go into starvation mode and you don't burn off the right bits, or something.

I had a squashed grilled tomato on butterless brown toast for breakfast. So far, so good.

I did follow it up with a cup of sugared tea, but it's better to have skimmed milk, a tiny bit of sugar, caffeine and hot water swilling around my innards than loads of cake, surely?

Was quite hungry by lunch, so I had a jacket potato and beans to keep starvation mode at bay. I only had a Crunchie because Veronica was having a Kit Kat, and anyway, Crunchies are made mostly of bubbles and are therefore the perfect complement to not eating anything.

I have bravely sipped only water since lunchtime, despite being quite peckish. Perhaps I should eat something to prevent my body going into starvation mode and rendering the whole effort pointless. A nice bag of lettuce from Tesco? Although the 'washed and ready to eat bag' I bought the other day was caked in mud - very dangerous. Would a macaroon be better? I don't want to pass out at my desk. That would be highly unprofessional.

I think I am handling the whole thing very well, though. Feels good to have finally taken the first steps towards a healthier, happier me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

LOL. You poopr thing. I'm picturing you morosely nibbling rabbit food at your desk while everyone else is down the pub clogging their arteries with pork thingies.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Mmmmm. Crunchies. Is there anything they can't do?

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home