Friday, December 30, 2005

Me mam

My mum was born on December 28 1946 at around 4am. She made her debut in the upstairs front bedroom of my grandparent's house in Darlington, delivered by the midwife and her Auntie Tess. She thinks it must have been around 4am, as her dad, Archie, met the midwife coming down the road as he came home after a nightshift as a printer on the Northern Echo.

When she married my dad, grandad told the story as part of his father-of-the-bride speech. He said he asked the midwife if the baby was a boy or a girl - he and my grandmother already had two boys. He told the wedding guests that when she told him it was a girl, he felt like someone had given him a million pounds.

Then he turned to my mum, gave her a wink, and said: "And now I wish they had."

1 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

ROFL.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home