Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Party politics

Andrew (otherwise known as Drew) and I are going to a swanky showbiz party tomorrow.

Andrew (otherwise known as Drew) commented on his blog on June 3rd:

"I went to a VIP party last night. I am not Very Important. I know someone who knows someone who is mildly Important and that person (the first someone) was ill and couldn’t go; I become Important by proxy. I looked around for the real VIP’s when I arrived, but I think they must all have stayed home doing things importantly. I wonder if anyone else noticed?"

The invitation I have for tomorrow's bash isn't actually in my name so I may have to blag a little on the way in. This led me to wonder how many other fibbers skip past unknowing doorstaff, lying through their teeth as they brandish hand-me-down invitations.

I used to work in PR, and obviously the success of any promotional event would be gauged by who attended, and how much media coverage it got. But the chances are, most of the people at are party will not be who they claim to be, and will actually be beaming impostors, pouring bottles of free Champers straight down their gullets, and wolfing the carefully selected nibbles like food's about to be outlawed. Any celebrities in attendance will probably have been paid, or are there to plug their ghastly new single/TV show/fake tits.

Of course, this doesn't really matter, because the PR can then go back to the client with a list of all the very busy, important people and famous people who showed up, and the client can then feel very chuffed, and pat themselves on the back for hosting a jolly successful party. However, what they have actually done is provide dinner a room full of a bunch of fraudulent freeloaders and a publicity platform for fame-hungry media whores.

In turn, of course, if the party gets lots of media coverage, none of THAT matters, because the (gullible members of the) general public will see the pictures of the fraudulent freeloaders and fame-hungry media whores in the papers, associate the brand behind the party as desirable and aspirational, and think the whole thing terribly glamorous when, in fact, it is nothing of the sort.

Might buy a new sparkly top though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Mine is more spangly. You can go sparkly, if you want to.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home