Friday, April 08, 2005

Running scared

I'm going jogging tomorrow. No, I've never done it before. No, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. All I know is I'm sick and tired of inhabiting a bag of porridge, and that I want thighs like sculpted marble which shimmer excitingly in the summer sunshine. This summer, I do not want to sit on a pub bench in a split-front skirt and look down to discover I have cultivated a lap-arse. Puts you right off your Pimms, that does.

So I'm going running with Clara. We are going running. Clara and I are going running. Of course. The reason I chose Clara is Caroline told me she used to belong to the gym's running club. When quizzed on her days as a dedicated pavement pounder, it was revealed that she only went twice, and everyone thought she was asthmatic. But, compared to me, she's a pro, so we're meeting at midday in Bushy Park.

The problem I have is that I don't actually know HOW to run. You might as well ask me to perform a backflip, scale a building, or clamber about on monkey bars. My body's like - wha? Do wha? Last time I really f*ckin ran for a train (I do believe the journey was from Sunbury to New Malden, and the year was 1995), I still had the shakes after a 25 minute train ride, and I had to scoff an entire bag of peanut M&Ms in order to recover.

Thing is, I have to run as I am too skint to join the gym, too busy to go to the gym, and there, um, is no gym near my house. I have tracksuit bottoms, I have trainers. I have fat arms that look like sacks of spam. After a monumental and decade long battle, the white-knuckled hand of the fiery combined force of my vanity and self-loathing is finally twisting around and edging down the determined limb of my hell-bent laziness in their eternal arm-wrestle. I want to look good in hot pants. No matter how much I want to lie on the sofa watching Charmed, I just really, really want to look good in hot pants. And I know that, if I were to disrobe from my PJs and pour myself into my Ibiza shorts, the resulting image would make me cry.

So.

Looks like I'm going running.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO. Best of luck with the running, mate. You keep at it or we'll tease you to death for giving up.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

This is a very, very funny blog! Good luck with the running - you're braver than me.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I ran about 50 metres to catch a train the other day. I thought I was going to die. Exercise + moi = bad bedfellows.

Good luck.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home