Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sex and The Inde

I find the idea of a sex column in The Independent slightly horrifying. But for some reason, Catherine Townsend's Sleeping Around exists, nestled between recipes for organic cheesebread and comment on politicians' family portraits (Gordon Brown's kids are cuuuuute!).

Reading about sex in the Inde whilst on public transport feels rather like sitting next to an over-confident, Oxbridge-educated twenty-something, loudly discussing blow jobs on her mobile phone on the 08.32 to Waterloo while everyone else is trying to do the crossword. It's not hot, it's bizarre, bemusing and a little bit embarrassing. And, try as I might, I cannot - as I gaze at her half-chopped up self leaning out of the page in a staged "sexy" pose and black cardie - imagine Catherine Townsend lashing a lover to the bed or shopping for mouth gags.

I don't think it's her fault, perhaps it would be easier to take if the tone was more cheeky, less smug and the column was in More magazine. At the moment, it feels like the prettiest young writer in the office was marched to the keyboard and instructed to come up with something part Carrie Bradshaw, part Belle de Jour. Perhaps I am just the wrong kind of person to be reading the column. If I ever encountered a lover who tried to get me going by downloading an adult podcast onto my iPod, I may very well have to leg it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

her half-chopped up self leaning out of the page in a staged "sexy" pose and black cardie

They could take her out of the unsexy cardie for starters.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home