Friday, April 28, 2006

Ten green bottles

I knew that if Mernie and I went over to Dee's house for dinner, I would come home with something to blog about.

And it was this:

Dee: "I want to join the Virgin gym down the road."
Mernie: "They're bloody expensive, how much is it?"
Dee: "It's seventy quid, which even if I don't go, is seventy quid not spent on drinking."
Me: "How many calories would you get for seventy quid?"
Dee: "Well, seventy quid would get you, what, ten bottles of wine?"
Mernie: "Ten bottles of good wine."
Dee: "So that's ten bottles of good wine..."
Mernie: "750 calories per bottle... 7500 in total. You need to eat 3500 over your base rate calorie intake to put on one pound, so ten bottles equals two pounds."
Me: "So you can join the gym and lose two pounds a month, without even going?"
Mernie: "Correct."
Dee: "Excellent! Who wants cream on their sticky toffee pudding?"

That theory again, broken down by Dr Mernie
Cost of gym: £70 per month
Drinking saved: 10 x bottles of quality white wine
Calories in said not drunk wine = 7500
Number of calories over base rate needed to put on 1lb = 3500
Therefore, £70 spent in gym = 7500 calories saved = 2lb lost without even getting off armchair and watching telly
Snag: Sitting on armchair in front of telly boring without wine

3 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

Excellent.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Despite pushing 30, I have never set foot in a gym in my life. I have been toying with it recently as the first signs that I may actually have to work at remaingin skinny have been showing, but as yet I am not prepared for the loss of income and/or dedication.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pushing 30 is exactly what brought this gym conversation on as it happens!

For the full effect of this weight loss programme I think I'm going to have to get my flatmate to join as well though. That way I can save the calories from the bottles of wine she would have bought as well.

Genius.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home