Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Toothache

I have toothache.

I've had a toothache for a few days, and was hoping it would go away - the hurting tooth has been drilled and filled before, and sometimes it has a little twinge for old time's sake. I've cleaned it, flossed it, poked it, swilled Corsodyl around it and prayed vaguely to anyone/thing that the pain is just transferring from my bank account or something. But five days later, it's starting to look grim.

I don't really mind the whole jaw-cracking, injecting, dribbling, scraping, poking, whirring, clamping, sucking, drilling, crunching, prodding and polishing (now wash around and spit please) dentist experience. In comparison with having half my face crumpled in raging agony, it's a fun day out. As the nerve pings and wriggles, I'm getting kind of desperate for my nice lady dentist to shove a needle into my gum and plunge the biggest drill bit into the offending filling. So I phoned up yesterday to make an appointment.

But they're not doing NHS anymore. A check up is £22 and a filling is £45. I can't afford it. NHS dentists are oversubscribed as it is, and one in ten didn't return the unpopular new contracts due back in April, meaning they've effectively left the service. So, in a nutshell, it looks like I am going to have to try to find a new dentist, whilst working, when I'm about to move house and don't know the new area, with toothache. And the chances of finding a new NHS dentist who will take me on are pretty slim. So what am I supposed to do? Wait until the tooth rots and falls out? Hope it gets so bad that I can be admitted through A&E?

Apparently there's a walk-up place in Angel with fit Aussie dentists that I can try, so jangling nerve-endings crossed.

I've never really had much of a cause to really hate the Labour Government. I haven't forgiven them for the tuition fees thing and the blowing the shit out of innocent Iraqis sucks the big one, but they didn't seem to be doing any terrible thing that wouldn't have been done anyway if another party was in power.

However, as I sit here with a throbbing ache pulsing through my jaw and into my eye and ear canal with little hope of anything being done about it because I don't have enough money, could I just say that YOU sir,



yes, YOU. You are a c***. Shame on you

5 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

Dab a drop of clove oil on it to numb the pain.

That might work on the Blair Witch as well.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Shaun said...

It's always seemed utterly ridiculous to me that you can't get your teeth fixed for 'free' as part of the NHS.After all, if you break your arm you can go to hospital and get it mended for niche however if your tooth hurts you have to pay for it? Eh? Mind you, dentists are greedy fuckers - blame them not Mr Blair.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in response to wrong un, the reason you shouldn't be able to get your teeth fixed for free is cos it's usually entirely your fault that they're messed up and need fixing!unlike most diseases, dental decay is entirely preventable. If you snack on sugar, knowing full well the harm it's doing, and don't bother to brush your teeth reguarly, why should other people pay to fix your mess?

12:55 AM  
Blogger Spike said...

When is someone going to invent a word verification thingy that works on humourless tossers?

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

put the cloves in some rum first, works a treat

and accordingly to anonymous, smokers, drinkers, victims of road trauma at fault and all manner of folk just wont get treatment anymore as its all their own fault.

yeah, np

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home